The Elephant Stables ( Kandy) – Boutique Hotel
Overview: Elephant Stables is a six-room boutique villa set on a hillock in Kandy’s outskirts. The old colonial bungalow was previously the home of Sir Cudah Ratwatte, the patriarch of the island’s leading aristocratic family. Many elephants were once housed in the gardens of his old plantation – hence the name The Elephant Stables. Over the years, the house has remained within the Ratwatte family and following a complete refurbishment was converted into a boutique hotel. Elephant Stables is a six-bedroom boutique villa that provides Kandyan hospitality amidst a tranquil setting on the fringes of the Knuckles Mountain Range. Interiors are decorated with a blend of contemporary design, antiques and Kandyan artefacts that give a flavor of this region.
There are six luxurious rooms, of which five are located on the upper floor of the Main House whilst one suite is in a separate garden cottage. The main house has the original Colonial Wing and a New Wing.
- Vanilla Suite: Set in the Colonial Wing, the Vanilla Suite consists of a double room and an interconnecting smaller room with bunk beds. This is ideal for a family.
- Citronella Suite: Also, a part of the Colonial Wing, this is a spacious suite on the upper floor with mountain views.
- Saffron Deluxe Room: A smaller suite set in the Colonial Wing with mountain views. Pepper Deluxe Garden Room: Set in the New Wing, this room opens out to a private section of 2 the wrap-around veranda which has beautiful garden views.
- Lemongrass Deluxe Garden Room: Set in the New Wing, this room features a spacious bathroom and opens out to a private balcony with mountain views.
- Cottage Suite: Set in the gardens closer to the swimming pool, this suite consists of a separate bedroom and a living room furnished with two single beds. This spacious suite is ideal as a triple room or for a family.
- Luxury Royal Tented Suite: The Luxury Royal Tented Suite is the latest addition to their accommodation. This super-luxury tent is an exact duplicate of the world-famous tents are used at Aman-I-Khas at Ranthambore. The open-plan design encompasses a Master bedroom, secondary bedroom, living room, bathroom and reception area. It is complete with stylish furniture which fits in with the theme of ‘colonial living.
- The ground floor consists of a living room furnished with antiques and a fireplace.
- Meals are served indoors in the dining room or out on the veranda overlooking the gardens.
- There is a small reading room on the upper floor which has interesting books on Sri Lanka as well as a laptop for guests to use.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Infinity edge swimming pool.
- Ideal for families up to 5 members as they have spacious rooms. (royal suite)
- Peaceful atmosphere.
- Scenic view
- Friendly staff
- Good service